Rachel Peregrine Falcon
Scientific Name: Falco peregrinus
Hatch Year: 2015
Non-releasable due to: injured by shooting
Peregrine Falcon Facts:
- Peregrines are the fastest animal on the planet, reaching speeds up to 240 mph while diving for prey.
- They were virtually eradicated from eastern North America by pesticide (DDT) poisoning in the middle 20th century but their numbers are growing due to a ban on DDT in 1972.
- Peregrines nest on skyscrapers, water towers, cliffs, power pylons, and other tall structures.
- “Peregrine” means wanderer.
- Rachel is named after Rachel Carson, author of Silent Spring, which documents the adverse effects on the environment of the indiscriminate use of pesticides.