Gonzo Turkey Vulture
Scientific Name: Cathartes Aura
Hatch Year: 2015
Non-releasable due to: human imprint
Turkey Vulture Facts:
- Turkey vultures are called Peace Eagles by the Cherokee since they do not kill prey.
- Vultures are “Nature’s custodian” – by consuming dead and decomposing animals, vultures clean up the toxins, pathogens and diseases that are possible as decomposition occurs.
- The turkey vulture has the largest olfactory system of all birds and have been known to be able to smell carrion from over a mile away.
- Turkey Vultures nest in rock crevices, caves, ledges, thickets, mammal burrows and hollow logs, fallen trees, abandoned hawk or heron nests, and abandoned buildings.
- Identify vultures by the silver plumage underneath their wings. They are able to soar for hours without flapping their wings (which helps conserve energy) by riding the thermals that rise from the earth.